Like many of you, we at the Well Being In the Nation (WIN) Network have been spending much of this weekend feeling devastated by the events surrounding the brutal deaths of George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery and countless others before them at the hands of police, and the waves of action and reaction that have followed. Our hearts go out to their families and communities. But this is not enough.
What is happening in the country today is a reflection of how our past legacies and current systems are showing up in the everyday realities for Black people and people of color. It shows up in the vastly disproportionate number of Black, Latinx and Native people who are dying from COVID-19 even as they staff our farms, grocery stores, factories and hospitals to keep our country going.
These present day legacies of trauma and exclusion reflect a system of interpersonal and structural racism that has existed since the foundation of our country. This system of injustice undermines all of our lives and tears the social fabric that we all need to survive and thrive together. We are all complicit within this system of racial inequity and have a role to play in building a civic infrastructure that is grounded in justice for everyone.
The WIN Network stands in solidarity with the Black community and other communities of color in this painful time of injustice, racism and inequity with a commitment to work together to create the vital conditions needed for racial justice. During WIN week 2020 (June 1-7), we have created spaces for listening and reflection about the events of this week against a backdrop of a week of events aimed at addressing well-being and equity in the time of Corona. As we reflect together on what we might do to advance racial justice through relationships and system change, we will chart a path for equitable recovery, resilience and transformation not only for the pandemic at hand today, but for the disease of racism that has infected us from the foundation of the country. We hope you will join us in this legacy moment in our nation’s history.
Connecting in the Time of Corona – WIN Week Virtual Events via Zoom
Register here at https://bit.ly/WINCorona
Monday, June 1st , 2:00pm – 3:30pm ET – WIN with Business Collaborative
- How is this moment shifting the way we think about the role of business in the context of Corona?
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2:00pm – 5:00pm ET – WIN Measurement and Learning Symposium
- What are we learning in real time about data and measures that advance health, well–being and equity?
- How might this learning shift our system of data and measurement?
- What research agendas might we share in common?
Wednesday, June 3rd, 3:00pm – 5:00pm ET – Advancing Equity in the Time of Corona: Community Dialogue
- What are communities who are experiencing inequities in the context of COVID (overlying historic legacies of inequity) seeing?
- What are their ideas about what strategies might support a recovery, resilience, and transformation response that advances well–being for all?
- How might the ideas of these communities help to shape local and national policies and systems?
Thursday, June 4th, 1:00pm – 4:30pm EST; 9am-1:30pm PST – WIN Network Meeting: Connecting in the Time of Corona
- Engage, connect, and find inspiration from one another
- Reflect on this moment of time in the context of legacies, the interconnection of the
- vital conditions and what it calls on us to do as stewards
- Come together (virtually) to address physical and mental health, economic inclusion, and
- civic muscle in the context of the Coronavirus pandemic across cooperatives and communities
Friday, June 5th
11:00am – 1:00pm Well Being Alliance (For Members Only)
- (WBA) members will meet virtually on Friday for a collaborative session, agenda forthcoming. In addition, WBA members are welcome to participate, if they are able, in WIN Network sessions on Thursday, which will focus on working together to advance the vital conditions in response to Coronavirus.
1:00pm – 2:30pm ET Policy and Investments/Stories and Dialogue Joint Meeting
- Advancing a shared dialogue guide around an equitable economy
1:00pm – 4:00pm ET WIN Communities Launch
- How might communities advance belonging and civic muscle and system change as part of their recovery, resilience and transformation from COVID?
- What support system do communities need to advance well–being and equity?
Friday June 5th – Sunday June 7th
Youth of Solutions Virtual Summit – Virtual retreat–like summit led by youth from around the world who are part of the WE in the World Youth of Solutions Network.
The Youth of Solutions Summit is a space to build the courage and confidence of youth as leaders; to connect with youth who are change agents in other communities, and to change the global narrative for the role and power of youth in the world to create change.
Three 2 hour sessions 2:00pm – 4:00pm Eastern Time
Friday, June 5th – Leading from Within
This involves one’s inner journey as a leader, including the story of a personal journey in light of the current crisis.
Saturday, June 6th – Leading Together
These skills are grounded in the perception of the community as a dynamic network of interacting people, organizations, structures, and systems that are related to a place.
Sunday, June 7th – Leading Equitably for Outcomes
These skills support communities in applying design skills to co–create a theory of change that supports all (including those that are not thriving) in an organized and achievable way.
Join the Conversation and Stay Up to Date About WIN!